Delicious vegan wings recipe
high in protein & meat-free
By: Vegan Agility Team Last updated: December 4, 2020
If you are ever in search of an incredible plant-based high protein vegan side dish to go with your favorite vegan salad or sweet potato fries, then this vegan wings recipe is the perfect dish for you. While trying to find the best plant-based way to replicate a favorite dish from my childhood yet in a healthy way that all vegans can benefit from, I put together this scrumptious vegan wings recipe that should leave your tastebuds jumping with joy.
Can vegans eat wings?
The first question we tend to get is, how can vegans eat wings if they do not eat anything taken from animals. Well, the simple answer is vegan wings are meat-free and dairy-free. At Vegan Agility, the focus is on plant-based healthy eating, so all our recipes, even these delicious vegan wings, will always be created strictly from plants even if they may resemble chicken wings. This vegan wing recipe has flavor, health, and plant-based protein as the nutritional focus to help any vegans and vegetarians get the nutrients they need without excess calories or resorting to meat.
So what are vegan chicken wings made of?
The base of this vegan wing recipe is an ingredient called seitan. Seitan, sometimes called vital wheat gluten, wheat meat, or wheat protein is a plant-based meat substitute derived from hydrated gluten, which is the largest source of protein in the nutrient profile of wheat. Since its made from gluten, those with gluten intolerances or celiac disease should not consume it. For those with no gluten issues, seitan provides a great source of plant-based protein to use in any traditional dish as a meat replacement or, in this case, as the base for some delicious vegan chicken wings.
Key nutrient focus of this vegan wings recipe
Protein: Plant-based protein is the nutrient that makes up the majority of this vegan wings recipe. Protein is a fundamental macronutrient for both vegans and non-vegans alike. It plays a vital role in a vast number of cellular processes as well as muscle repair and recovery. In this recipe, the high plant-based protein content comes predominantly from the seitan flour.
How do you make vegan chicken wings from scratch?
Vegan wings recipe
Vegan wings ingredients
- 1 cup wheat gluten seitan
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups unbleached plain flour
- 1/4 cup onion diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp all purpose seasoning (alternatively you can use vegan poultry seasoning or your favorite brand of a similar seasoning)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp vegetable broth powder alternatively you can use a stock cube
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- canola oil for frying
Vegan Sauce ingredients
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce or your favorite red hot sauce
- 1/4 tbsp garlic powder
- vegan egg replacer alternatively you can use 1/3 cup of soy milk
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
How to make the vegan sauce
- To make the vegan chicken wing sauce first make your vegan egg replacer.
- Then mix the egg replacer with the smoked paprika, vinegar, garlic powder, and salt in a small saucepan. Heat on medium-low, whisking frequently until margarine is melted and the mixture is bubbling. Remove from heat and set aside.
How to make the vegan wings
- Place the garlic, onion and fresh coriander leaves into a food processor and allow it to blend
- Add the oil, salt vegan poultry seasoning (or all-purpose seasoning), herbs and spices (thyme, rosemary, smoked paprika, black pepper) and further blend until sufficiently mixed
- Add the vegetable broth and process until all ingredients are well blended. It should now form a consistently smooth paste
- Add in the seitan (wheat gluten) and allow the food processor to do its magic which should now form a smooth dough.
How to make the vegan mix (without) a food processor
- If you do not have a food processor you can make the dough manually. First, dice your onions and crush your garlic then throw all ingredients into a bowl. Mix together until a dough is formed. Knead the dough until you get a nice elasticity but not too dry. If the dough is initially too wet you can add a little more seitan flour.
Forming the vegan wings
- Remove the dough from the food processor or large bowl and separate it into small balls or wing-like shapes. Make the balls and wing shape smaller than the size you want since they will double in size when cooked.
- Take a large pot and fill with a sufficient amount of water to cover all seitan dough pieces. Add about 2 tbsp of vegetable broth powder and allow to heat up on a medium flame.
- When the water is hot and a vegetable broth has formed. place your vegan chicken wing pieces into the vegetable broth, cover with a lid, and cook for 1 hour on a medium to low flame.
- Drain the water and allow the enlarged seitan pieces to cool
- In a large bowl or zip lock bag add 2 cups of unbleached flour, 1 tsp black pepper, 1/2 tsp sea salt, 1 tsp garlic powder and 1 tsp of cornstarch
- Dip each vegan chicken wing into the sauce mixture until fully coated then dip into the flour mixture until coated.
- Fry the coated wings on a high to medium heat in canola oil or vegetable oil until crispy
- Once cooked use the remaining sauce to re-coat the wings. Serve and enjoy
- This delicious homemade vegan chicken wings recipe goes great with a light vegan spinach salad.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on your ingredients and tools.
Do you want more delicious vegan recipes?
Why not try out some of our alternative vegan meals that use a blend of different plant-based foods high in essential nutrients to achieve a delicious yet healthy result. These recipes will allow you to get creative with your cooking while still focussing on essential vegan nutrients and mouth-watering flavor.