Best Vegan Multivitamins
Review and Buyers Guide
Edited by: Isabel Stewart , Last updated: November 29, 2020
Do vegans need to take a multivitamin?
While being vegan can be an extremely healthy way to provide your body with all the nutrients it needs to thrive, some nutrients are harder to come by than others. The term vegan seems to be synonymously linked with the image of perfect health or on the total opposite side linked to fragility and weakness, depending on what camp you talk to.
But like with all diets, it counts on the consumer to have the right nutritional knowledge to make it work so that you can cover for any inefficiencies that may arise in your choice of foods.
The right multivitamin can be an excellent help for vegans, allowing us to make up for any vitamins and minerals inefficiencies on our journey to optimal health.
In this article, we’ll discuss:
- the primary deficiencies that can arise from a vegan diet
- the best vegan multivitamins help cover any nutritional imbalances
- and what to look for when choosing a vegan multivitamin supplement so that you can make the best choice for your situation.
Best vegan multivitamin supplements at a glance
- Editors Choice: Supplements Studio Vegan Multivitamin
- Best vegan multivitamin for women: Naturelo Vegan Multivitamin for women
- Best vegan multivitamin for men: Garden of Life Multivitamin for Men
- Best vegan multivitamin for the family: Abundant Earth Whole food multivitamin
- Best vegan multivitamin for sensitive stomachs: Rainbow light women’s multivitamin
- Best Vegan Multivitamins
- Best vegan multivitamin supplements at a glance
- Top 5 Multivitamins for vegans Reviewed (2021 updated)
- 1. Supplements Studio Vegan Multivitamin – Editor’s Choice
- 2. Naturelo Vegan Multivitamin for women – Best Vegan Multivitamin for women
- 3. Garden of Life Multivitamin for Men – Best Vegan multivitamin for men
- 4. Abundant Earth Whole food multivitamin – Best Vegan multivitamin for the family
- 5. Rainbow light women’s multivitamin – Best for sensitive stomachs
- Vegan Multivitamin Buyers Guide
- Frequently asked questions
Top 5 Multivitamins for vegans Reviewed (2021 updated)
1. Supplements Studio Vegan Multivitamin – Editor’s Choice
Supplements studio whole food multivitamin is one of the few vegan brands that supply a healthy dose of omega-3 and 6 in their formula. The comprehensive list of vital nutrients in their multivitamin makes this the perfect choice for vegan men & women who want a one size fits all supplement.
With 25 vegan vitamins and minerals packed into this formula, it should cover the majority of nutritional inefficiencies that people may run into when adopting a plant-based diet.
It contains the antioxidant coq10, which helps to improve heart health and regulate blood sugar plus a hefty dose of vitamins d, b12, and iodine, which are all essential nutrients needed on a vegan diet.
The supplements studio multivitamin is a brilliant all-rounder, scoring well in each review category and the fantastic ingredient list makes this one of the best vegan multivitamin supplements to bring balance to a plant-based diet.
Why we love it
things to be aware of
2. Naturelo Vegan Multivitamin for women – Best Vegan Multivitamin for women
Naturello provides one of the best vegan multivitamins supplements for healthy vegan women. It comes with seven unique blends to support the different areas that our bodies need to function as one cohesive system. This makes this a great all in one multivitamin that should give any vegan confidence in getting closer to optimal nutritional balance in their diets.
Naturello’s multivitamin has a blend that takes care of the essential nutrients that all vegan women need to be aware of, specifically vitamins b12, iron, vitamin D, vitamin K, and calcium. Added to this the fruit & veg blend, digestive enzyme blend, energy blend, brain health blend, heart health blend and eye health blend which are all made from natural vegan vitamins and raw organic extracts make Naturello’s multivitamin a near-perfect supplement for women trying to create a healthy balance in their diets through the use of strictly plants.
Why we love it
things to be aware of
3. Garden of Life Multivitamin for Men – Best Vegan multivitamin for men
This garden of life multivitamin was made specifically for men, and the unique nutrition attributes that the males bodies need. One of these attributes is the prostate support added to the formula, which contains a healthy boost of selenium to support a healthy prostate. It also has over 15 essential vitamins and minerals for vegans that provide 100% of the daily value needed. This is great for ensuring your diet stays nutritionally balanced.
Garden of life have intelligently avoided adding iron into their formula since the majority of men do not need to supplemental iron. Every vegan knows they need a healthy supply of b12, and all high-quality vegan multivitamin should have b12 in their formula. The garden of life multivitamins are no exception, providing 18mcg of b12 per serving. This dosage is brilliant for helping prevent b12 deficiency.
Another positive aspect of the garden of life b12 supplement is the form of b12 used. They have chosen methylcobalamin, which is a natural form of b12 over cyanocobalamin, which is a man-made form. Methylcobalamin is generally better absorbed, making it the more desirable choice for most vegans.
Why we love it
things to be aware of
4. Abundant Earth Whole food multivitamin – Best Vegan multivitamin for the family
With so many beneficial nutrients packed into one small bottle the Abundant earth multivitamin can make you feel like you have found the source to all your nutrient needs. The abundant earth whole food multivitamin stands out for successfully blending a wide range of essential vitamins into a multivitamin that hits the majority of vegan needs.
To make this multivitamin suitable for both men and women, they have removed the iron since excess iron can be an issue for men. The carefully selected food sources and safe serving sizes make the abundant earth multivitamin great for the whole family.
However, if you are female with low iron levels, it may be better to buy a separate plant-based iron supplement or choose an alternative that caters more to female needs such as Naturello women’s multivitamin.
Why we love it
things to be aware of
5. Rainbow light women’s multivitamin – Best for sensitive stomachs
The focus of the Rainbow light daily multivitamin is whole-body health for women with a formula made with fruits vegetables and probiotics, but also allergy-friendly. These combined elements make the Rainbow light multivitamin the go-to choice for vegan women with sensitive digestive systems.
It contains 10mcg of vitamin b12 which all vegans need and helps to prevent b12 deficiency. It includes a mix of beneficial health formulas from a women’s vitality blend made of chlorella, grape, and organic pomegranate to help maintain a natural balance of energy through to a digestive support blend with 25million CFU which aids in better absorption of nutrients.
The rainbow light multivitamin is an overall great choice for any woman trying to maintain nutrient balance with a supplement that is easy on the stomach.
Why we love it
things to be aware of
Vegan Multivitamin Buyers Guide
What do we look for in a quality vegan multivitamin supplement
Does it contain the main vitamins and minerals that a vegan needs?
- Vitamin d is one of the essential vitamins that are very hard for us to get insufficient amounts from just our diet. It plays a crucial role in how well our bodies can absorb and metabolize calcium and phosphorus.
- The recommended amount of vitamin D for healthy men and women is 15mcg or 600iu with an upper intake limit of 100mcg or 4000iu
- Looking for a multivitamin formula that has around 1000iu or 25mcg of vitamin D is an excellent way to safely hit your daily value but also make up for poor absorption.
- Always stay aware of the source of vitamin D, which as vegans, we want it to be from a plant-based source like mushrooms or lichen. Look out for animal sources that come from sheep’s wool under the name of lanolin.
- For the best vitamin D vegan supplements, check out our top 5 plant-based vitamin D suggestions.
- Calcium is an essential mineral needed for optimal growth and metabolism of our bones and teeth.
- The recommended amount of calcium for healthy men and women between the ages of 19-50 is 1000 mg a day, and for ages 51-70, it is 1200mg a day with an upper intake limit of 2500 for ages 19-50 and 2000mg a day for ages 51 to 70.
- Aiming for intake around 1000mg and below is a great way to boost your calcium intake while also giving space for calcium intake from whole foods.
- Always read the label to avoid calcium supplements containing dairy products
- For the best vegan calcium supplements, check out our top 5 plant-based calcium options.
- Iron is an essential mineral critical to the correct function of hemoglobin and sufficient transport of oxygen throughout our bodies
- The recommended amount of iron for healthy adult men is 8mg and 18mg for healthy adult with the tolerable upper intake limit being 45mg for both men and women
- Vegans want to avoid heme iron, which is taken from animal sources and always aim for non-heme iron.
- For vegan men, iron is generally not needed in your multi vitamins unless your doctor has recommended it, so the majority of vegan multi vitamins for men will not include iron.
- For the best vegan iron supplements, check out our top 5 plant-based iron supplement suggestions for more information.
- B12 is one of the essential vitamins needed for healthy nerve and blood cells and is created predominantly by microorganisms.
- In your multi vitamins, it is best to pick methylcobalamin a natural form of b12 over cyanocobalamin (a man-made form of b12) for better overall absorption.
- A lot of the cheaper companies try to save money on their end by using cyanocobalamin, but it is not as effective, so check the ingredients for the type of b12 in the multivitamin.
- The recommended amount of vitamin b-12 for healthy men and women is 2.4mcg every day, but vegans in most cases have been recommended to take at least 10mcg daily, and since there is no set upper intake limit vitamin b12 is a very safe nutrient to supplement.
- For a more in-depth look into the best vegan b12 supplements, check out our top 5 b12 vegan supplement suggestions.
- Omega 3 is an essential nutrient needed to maintain healthy blood pressure and used to prevent the onset of heart disease.
- The recommended amount of omega 3’s needed for healthy vegan men and women is 250-500mg per day with amounts of up to 5000mg still giving no cause for concern
- When purchasing multi vitamins with Omega 3s in the formula, it is preferable to have a smaller Omega 3 percentage to allow sufficient room for Omega 3 intake from whole foods.
- Always take care that the Omega 3 source is not derived from fish. As vegans, our primary source for Omega 3’s should come from nuts or algae.
- For a more in-depth look into Omega 3 supplementation for vegans, check our top 5 picks for the best Omega 3 supplements for vegans.
- Iodine is an essential nutrient needed to maintain healthy metabolic balance, especially concerning thyroids, which produce a large amount of the hormones in our body.
- The average recommended amount of iodine for healthy vegan men and women is 150-200 mcg per day with an upper intake limit of 1100mcg
- For a deeper look into iodine supplementation for vegans, check our top 5 picks for the best vegan iodine supplements.
- Magnesium is an essential mineral great for cardiovascular health and regulating blood pressure plus muscle function.
- The overall recommended amount of magnesium for healthy adult men is 420mg a day and 320 mg a day for women. This means a combination of supplements and food should come to these numbers to avoid deficiency symptoms. There is no current upper intake limit for magnesium from whole food sources, but there is an upper intake limit for supplemental magnesium, which is 350mg for both men and women.
- So look out for magnesium numbers on your multi vitamins nutrition label and ensure they are at or below 350mg.
- For an in-depth look into magnesium, check out our ultimate guide to mastering magnesium on a vegan diet.
- Zinc is an essential nutrient for vegans and plays a pivotal role in immune function, thyroid function, and wound healing.
- The recommended amount of zinc for healthy men is 11mg per day and for healthy women is 8mg per day with an upper intake limit of 40mg per day
- So aiming for around 8mg of supplemental zinc is adequate while also getting a healthy amount from whole food plant-based sources.
- For a deep dive into zinc supplementation for vegans, check our top 5 picks for the best vegan zinc supplements available.
Does it contain Yeast, Corn, Soy, Gluten, and any other additives?
- For those with a sensitive digestive system, it is important to avoid yeast corn gluten and sometimes soy. If you have strong intolerances, we recommend choosing a supplement that is hypo-allergenic. This will mean a much lower chance of allergic reactions or digestive issues after consumption.
Is it Organic and Non-GMO?
- It’s crucial that any product chosen uses organic ingredients and non-GMO to make sure the number of chemicals in your products are kept as minimal as possible. Be aware that if a product is Non-GMO but doesn’t state organic, it still may contain vegetables that had pesticides or herbicides, so always look out for the organic label.
- Always lookout for a vegan label on the product to ensure that the supplement is vegan-friendly. Some of the main things vegans need to watch out for in this regard are Gelatin in the casing of the supplement and animal products used as the source of ingredients.
- How many servings do you get per bottle, and is the vegan multivitamin nutritionally balanced?
- How much does each serving cost (price divided by the number of servings)?
- Always compare serving amounts to the overall price of the product and other similar products to make sure you are getting the best value for money.
- Another thing to pay attention to is whether the company provides a return or guarantee with the purchase. When a company offers a way for you to return your product if you are not satisfied, it instills confidence in your purchase and the brand.
The key thing for all vegans to remember is that supplementation is not a replacement for a well balanced healthy diet but there to support one.
Gaining significant nutritional balance through whole plant-based foods is the first step.
Supplementation can then be used as an extra tool to make up for nutritional downfalls or nutrient inefficiencies, giving you more control of your health in the long run and allowing your body to stay in a more optimal state for years to come.