Beet juice recipe for low blood pressure
Packed with nutrients
By: Vegan Agility Team Last updated: December 6, 2020
A beet juice recipe for low blood pressure may be just what’s needed for many at this point in time. With our supermarkets filled with unhealthy sugary foods and the fridges filled with microwave meals laden with hidden salt, the number of people with high blood pressure levels, as a result, is at an all-time high.
Many factors play into the causes and symptoms of high blood pressure, but one factor we can control is food. Research has shown that a diet high in salty foods, dairy, red meat, and highly processed foods have been linked to higher blood pressure levels, whereas a diet high in fruits and vegetables have been shown to do the opposite and bring your blood pressure levels back in balance. So the easiest step any of us can take is to begin eliminating some of the foods that raise blood pressure and bringing in more foods that lower it.
One of the best fruits and vegetables that has shown to help reduce the risk of hypertension is beets. This delicious purple vegetable is packed with beneficial minerals and plant compounds, which, when consumed regularly, may aid in normalizing blood pressure levels.
So we have put together a recipe based on scientific data, using beets as the foundation that assists in lowering blood pressure and fosters a healthier lifestyle.
Beet juice recipe for low blood pressure ingredients and benefits
- Beets are loaded with a range of essential nutrients that make them the perfect vegetable to juice to help with normalizing blood pressure. The levels of nitrates in beets, especially when juiced, have been shown to have very beneficial effects on blood pressure levels. Beets also have a high potassium content, with studies showing a strong correlation between large potassium intake and blood pressure reduction.
- Carrots are one of the best vegetables to juice. They are packed with beta-carotene, which is great for longterm eye health and are also loaded with beneficial antioxidants. Recent studies have shown that drinking carrot juice can increase antioxidant status resulting in potential decreases of blood pressure. The combined health benefits that come from the nutrients within carrots makes it the perfect vegetable to complement beets in this juice recipe.
- This wonderful flavorsome plant root is great for spicing up your beet juice recipes, but ginger also has properties that may help with high blood pressure. Studies have shown that ginger is able to relax muscles and enhance the efficiency of blood circulation, resulting in healthier blood pressure levels.
- Oranges are not only delicious but are packed with two vital ingredients that have the potential to lower blood pressure. The first is vitamin C, which research has shown can moderately reduce the risk of hypertension. The second is potassium, which studies have shown can counter the effects of high sodium intake and reduce the risk of high blood pressure.
This beet juice recipe for low blood pressure primarily uses one tool which conveniently is perfect for this recipe and that’s a slow masticating juicer. The other juicer types specifically a fast centrifugal juicer are not optimal for breaking down beets, carrots and ginger since the high speeds tend to produce a lower yield.
The high speeds of a centrifugal juicer can also heat up the ingredients too much resulting in nutrient degradation and a higher level of oxidation which is not what we want before drinking our beet juice. Our current favorite beet juicer is the Tribest 5050 thanks to its versatile and efficient juicing capabilities. You can check out our top beet juicer reviews to find a juicer that fits your needs.
There are some fast centrifugal juicers like the Breville juice fountain xl that have a cooling motor to keep temperatures low but they still tend to struggle with items leafy greens so the versatility you have in the kitchen when juicing beets with other foods is limited.
A second kitchen tool which may help when making this beet juice recipe for low blood pressure is a citrus or orange juicer. Its a perfect secondary tool for extracting the most juice from citrus fruits with minimal pulp.
Beet juice recipe to lower blood pressure
- 3 beets
- 3 carrots
- 2 inches ginger
- 1 orange
- 4 mint leaves
- Slow masticating juicer
- High powered blender
- Thoroughly wash your carrots and beets. They do not need to be peeled, but it is recommended to scrub them with a food brush to remove the outermost layer.
- Cut the ends off of your beetroot and carrots and slice into pieces sufficient enough to fit through your juicers feed chute.
- Peel and slice your ginger
- Prepare your orangesIf you have an orange juicer – cut your oranges in half and extract the required amount of juice to be mixed with the other fruits and vegetables later onIf you only have a slow juicer or blender – peel your oranges and separate them into segments
- Prepare your juicer, ensuring all safety clamps are down, and the juicer is secure to your kitchen surface.
- Begin juicing Gradually juice all ingredients alternating between each. Continue until all ingredients are juiced, and pulp has been fully extracted.
- If you juiced your oranges separately, blend the orange juice with the fresh beetroot, carrot and ginger juice.
If you are using a blender
- Place all chopped ingredients into blender jug, including the oranges or orange juice.
- Add water to make blending easier on the motor
- Blend until smooth.
- Filter blended ingredients through a fine sieve, strainer, or nut milk bag. Continue filtering until you have separated all pulp
- Serve and drink while fresh!
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on your ingredients and tools.
Why not try out some of our alternative beet juice recipes that use a blend of different fruits and vegetables to compliment the unique flavor of beets. These recipes allow you to get a bit creative with your beet juicing while adding extra nutritional benefits that enhance the overall juice result.
Vegan Agility is community supported. Purchases made through links on our site may earn an…